2009年8月3日星期一

Email my password to my web admin?

I can't access my web host's webmail and admin tools, so I contacted their tech support. They want me to email them my login%26amp;password. They're a small company with good customer service, and I don't wanna be a douche, but isn't there something against giving away your password to anyone?


If you think I shouldn't, what's your sound reasoning?
Email my password to my web admin?
If they truly need your login and password then you should call them directly and provide it to them and then change it immediately after the issue is resolved.





If this company is asking you to email them your information then you should seriously considuer going with a different company. If they are this lax with the security then what other areas of security are they lax with? Email is sent in what is known as "clear text" unless you specifically use a program to encrypt it... which means that anyone could intercept the email, you could accidentally send it to the wrong address, etc... etc... plus, it would remain on their servers for anyone to find regardless of whether they themseves deleted it.





If a company I did business with showed this kind of security un-awareness and gross neglect for the security of my information... I would have a serious issue with it as a security professional.





Good Luck
Email my password to my web admin?
Yes I think you should never give login%26amp;password info to anyone. Let alone over E-mail. Any company can gain access to you're account they control. they might need to reset the password to do so. but thats as easy as sending you a temp password that you can reset once you've regained access to your account. Ask them to do so. If they're really that small and don't know how or are unwilling at least go to them in person so you know that someone has not intersepted your email and you know who you're talking too.





This is my profesional opinion, If they can't work with you maybe you need a better solution.
Reply:I would not do it. It doesn't sound right. I have worked with several different hosting companies and no one in tech support has ever asked me for my password. I have been asked for my account login before, but I would never give out my password. They should be able to analyze the problem through their system and see everything they need to see. If they think your problem may be your password, they should simply reset it.





Even if it is legitimate, don't send the information via email. Speak to them over the phone. If they don't offer phone support find another company! You don't want to waste time and energy trying to diagnose problems using email. There are too many reliable, low-cost hosting companies out there like www.oneworlddomains.com or www.godaddy.com that offer 24/7 phone support, to stay with someone who doesn't.





Good Luck!


没有评论:

发表评论